Loundyes Almshouses

The almshouses in Thatcham were given by Thomas Loundyes in 1446; the present building at 47 Chapel Street is on the same site. There are four self-contained flats at Loundyes almshouses at 47 Chapel Street which are centrally heated and designed for independent living.

Each flat has its own entrance hall, living room and kitchenette, bedroom, bath or shower room and an airing cupboard. The main areas are carpeted and the kitchen is equipped with an electric cooker, washing machine and refridgerator.

John Hunt’s Almshouses

John Hunt’s almshouses were completed in 1990 and comprise of 4 self contained flats for independent living which were originally endowed in 1590.

Each flat has its own entrance hall, living room and kitchenette, bedroom, bath or shower room and an airing cupboard. The main areas are carpeted and the kitchen is equipped with an electric cooker, washing machine and refridgerator.

 

Nine Shilling House

Nine Shilling House at Glebelands off Lower way, was built in 1995 after previous almshouses in Chapel Street were demolished in the 1950’s.

There are 6 self contained flats. Each flat has its own entrance hall, living room and kitchenette, bedroom, bath or shower room and an airing cupboard. The main areas are carpeted and the kitchen is equipped with an electric cooker, washing machine and refridgerator.

Locations

Loundyes Almshouses
47 Chapel Street, Thatcham
John Hunt's Almshouses
45 Chapel Street, Thatcham
Nine Shilling House
Glebelands, Thatcham