The almshouses in Thatcham were given by Thomas Loundyes in 1446; the present building at 47 Chapel Street is on the same site. The adjoining John Hunt’s almshouses, completed in 1990, were originally endowed in 1590. a further small block was completed in 1995 and named Nine Shilling House after previous almshouses in Chapel Street which were demolished in the 1950’s.
There are fourteen flats in total, four flats at each of Loundyes and John Hunt's almshouses at 47 and 45 Chapel Street respectively and a further six at Nine Shilling House at Glebelands, off Lower Way. They are self-contained flats, centrally heated and designed for independent living.
Each building has its own communal garden or courtyard, small wheelie bin and shared recycling bins. There are shared external rotary dryers and a stair-lift in all properties.